Wednesday, May 12, 2010

why did I wait so long...

It is said that the path to hell is laid with good intentions. Three months ago I decided it was time to change the oil in my car. My car has taken quite a bit of abuse and is running very well all things considered. It has survived over 160, 000 miles and 120 miles of daily commuting. However, the car is showing signs of neglect. It now buzzes at me when I make turns, suggesting to me that the steering fluid must be getting low. I am imagining there might only be a couple tablespoons of oil left in the engine block. So I decided it was time to take it to the shop.

Another thing that recently broke was the cigarette lighter. I use my iPod daily to listen to music and audio books, thanks to that power supply. It really bothers me that it's not functioning right now. The mechanic said that it might be a fuse that is out. Sometimes the metal sheeting actually comes out of the power socket when I remove my appliances. He said that perhaps I shorted the circuit when that happened. We'll see.

I also admitted that I've been living off of a prayer in regards to the timing belt, which, to my knowledge, has never been replaced. Now we're talking more money. So it's time to consult Quicken and see if I can afford the expense this month.

I really did think that I could take care of my car on my own. It's not so much a question of ability as is time. So I should not be embarrassed or think it's wasteful to take my car to the shop. With only 24 hours in a day, one must ask himself, "where will my efforts be best placed?"

No comments:

Post a Comment