Thursday, January 8, 2015

Getting to know Atom

A new application can be as exciting as Christmas morning. I am a dedicated Vim user (specifically MacVim). I am grateful for those who have developed plugins to bring a Vim-like experience to the tools I use.

Eclipse has Vrapper and "Vrapper - Surround". I never quite made it on the Sublime bandwagon. Nic Raboy recently filled me in on this great tool. It does everything that Sublime does (almost), but faster. And because it was developed by the folks at GitHub, it provides some great integration with the well know source control giant. The name? The Atom editor.

My addiction to Vim may backfire on me one day. Apparently, that day hasn't come yet; Atom has a couple of plugins that satisfy my Vim addiction.

  • open-vim
  • vim-mode

The interface is slick and tasty. And I love the support for creating your own plugins using JavaScript and/or CoffeeScript.

I'll be spending the next little bit getting familiar with the documentation. The IDE also has a set of very useful developer tools that help with debugging the package scripts that are included in plugins. That's one thing Vim doesn't have!

  • View > Developer > Toggle Developer Tools

No comments:

Post a Comment